Main picture

Main picture
Sermon on the Mount

Monday, January 14, 2013

What's next? Football and Christian displays

Well, we've all had a little break, the Christmas tree is down, the Decorations are packed away for another year, and now we think, "What's next?"

Some people immediately say, "Super Bowl!" I used to be one of those people but somewhere along the line, my husband and I found something else to do with our Sundays and Monday nights. I'm not sure when that happened, but one day I noticed, hey, we never watch football anymore!

I can't say that I miss it. I mean, it did tie us down to the TV every week, but in retrospect, I did enjoy the games. I knew the players, the coaches and I knew where to find my baby sister every week when the Bucs were playing. She'd be where so many people go to watch football, in a sports bar with her husband, cheering on the teams and getting mad about a bad call.

These days the only thing I watch the Super Bowl for is the commercials, and because the game starts SOOOOO LATE, I have to record it. I mean seriously, the whole country is watching this game and has to go to work the next day, why can't they schedule it for Sunday afternoon when most people are off work and the whole family can watch? But I digress.

Maybe it is the commercials that turned us away? We watch a game that is technically a 60 minute game, and it is turned into a 3 to 4 hour event with constant commercials and "commentary" by "has been" players with computer consoles and they have to bring up every bit of football trivia they can find to fill the space of a call on the field. It's exhausting! Give me a live Pee-Wee football game anytime!

But as it is, Football has become a controversial medium for Evangelization. Ever heard or the "The Tebow Rule?" Tim Tebow, Heisman Trophy winner from the University of Florida, and well known Christian with Missionary parents, had two things he was known for during his college play years. One, was his Bible verses written in his eye black. These became a sensation and went viral every time he changed the verse. Unfortunately the NCAA enacted a new rule against messages of any kind on the players eye black. Check this out HERE. Come on folks, really? The devil is out to fight Christianity and we as Christians are letting him win!

The other thing that Tim Tebow was and is still known for is what became dubbed as "Tebowing."
he goes down on one knee and bows his head, usually resting his head on his fist, to say a prayer.
This became such a sensation, there were whole web pages dedicated to pictures of people "Tebowing"


Tim Tebow, "Tebowing"
In my RCIA class last year, one of the teens said that they banned "Tebowing" in his highschool! He said he was reprimanded by a teacher when he did it in the hall between classes.

What's wrong with expressing your faith? Why does everyone have to get so "offended?" Why do we as Christians let a handful of non-believers get away with taking away our right to share, discuss and express our Faith in God? It has gone way beyond out of control!

One of the sites I have linked here on my Blog site is Catholicscomehome.org, a not-for-profit organization that is fighting not just to bring fallen away catholics home, but for our right to Religious Liberty. I've seen some incredible successes coming from their "Evangomercials"in bringing people back to church. Every city where they have shown the commercials has seen an increase in attendance.
It is a beautiful thing. Recently they added Coach Holtz to their list and aired the below commercial during College Bowl week. If they could get a MONSTER donation, maybe they could have got it for this years Super Bowl? Let's pray it happens!


Coach Holtz Catholics Come Home Add

Let's get back to basics, let's PRAY with diligence, STUDY God's Word daily, and LOVE one another through sacrifice, sharing, and ministry!

Blessings,
The Catholic Lady©

No comments:

Post a Comment