Main picture

Main picture
Sermon on the Mount

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Levitical diet?

Levitical Diet?
(words highlighted purple or blue are links. Click to see more information)

I was wondering about the Levitical diet, and decided I needed to do more research. A young woman I know is 7th day Adventist and I also have some Jewish friends that keep Kosher.
Having lived in Mount Lebanon, part of Pittsburgh, in my youth, it was there I first learned about "Kosher". I grew up in rural Florida and had never even met a Jewish person, so this was new and exotic to me.

My first job was in a deli and we had two separate meat cases. One for regular meats and cheeses, and the other was for "Kosher" only meats fish and cheeses. There were separate slicer's for Kosher foods. As I worked, I learned a little and asked questions. After three years, I knew how to tell what was Kosher by sight and packaging but I never really knew what "Kosher" really was all about.

Of course, in time I read more of the Bible and understood the formation of the "Works of the Law" of Moses in Leviticus and Deuteronomy. A few years ago, my son starting dating a girl that was a practicing 7th Day Adventist, and her diet restrictions started to become an annoyance. We like pork and I would go out of the way to change meal plans to accommodate her Levitical diet. Once they were invited to my family Christmas party and I emailed everyone to be sure not to bring or cook with anything pork. I even made a brisket instead of our traditional baked ham. Then of course she didn't show up and one of my sisters had to slip in a little snarky comment, God Bless her.

My thoughts have always followed Jesus' words in Matthew, 15:11, 17 when he was challenged by the Pharisees about his followers not following the Law of Moses regarding their eating habits.


11 It is not what enters one’s mouth that defiles that person; but what comes out of the mouth is what defiles one.” 
17 Do you not realize that everything that enters the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled into the latrine?
Another time, when Jesus was commissioning the seventy-two to go out and prepare the towns for his visit.  Luke 10: 7 Stay in the same house and eat and drink what is offered to you, for the laborer deserves his payment. 8 whatever town you enter and they welcome you, eat what is set before you.

And also Peter's vision in Acts 10: 9-16

9 The next day, while they were on their way and nearing the city, Peter went up to the roof terrace to pray at about noontime.
10 He was hungry and wished to eat, and while they were making preparations he fell into a trance.
11 He saw heaven opened and something resembling a large sheet coming down, lowered to the ground by its four corners.
12 In it were all the earth’s four-legged animals and reptiles and the birds of the sky.
13 A voice said to him, “Get up, Peter. Slaughter and eat.”
14 But Peter said, “Certainly not, sir. For never have I eaten anything profane and unclean.”
15 The voice spoke to him again, a second time, “What God has made clean, you are not to call profane.”
16 This happened three times, and then the object was taken up into the sky.



As I began to read more, the references took me back to Genesis 9:3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.
And 1st Tim 4:4-5
For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected when received with thanksgiving,
5
for it is made holy by the invocation of God in prayer. (as in when we say the blessing before our meal)

Now this was starting to make me feel justified in that anyone that follows the Levitical diet is not understanding that by Jesus' coming, he nullified all of the Levitical "Works of the Law" as a means to be justified in the Lord. **
But then I began to study the entire chapter 14 of Romans and saw that maybe I was wrong in my thoughts. Here Paul is writing to the Roman Christian Church and one of the topics is the "Works of the Law". Paul talks about those (Gentiles) that believe that they can eat whatever they want and those (Jews) that abstain, as being strong in their faith and weak in their faith. But he tells them "I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; still, it is unclean for someone who thinks it unclean."

Hmmm. Then he goes on to say that ones diet should not be allowed to become a stumbling block to Jesus. In other words, do not be judgemental of someone who believes in the Levitical diet!
Well, color me red!  
In verse 20 through 23, Paul says that everything made by the Lord is indeed clean, (safe to eat) but if one has a doubt about this point, they should not eat as long as the doubt exists because to do so would be a sin if there is no faith. 
This makes so much sense. So until a person accepts that nothing they eat will harm them, don't judge them and don't admonish them. 

So I now see a little more clearly, and will make a point to remind myself, come the Holidays, not to grumble or worry about what to serve at the Holiday meals. I'll do what I have been doing and prepare options for dining but I will feel better,and not guilty, knowing that it's OK to choose the baked ham! 
Bring on the cranberries and pumpkin pie! I'm ready for some old fashioned Christmas Dinner!

Blessings,
The Catholic Lady ©

** As a footnote, for centuries there have been debates on this term, "Works of the Law" as it only appears in Paul's writings. Other places, within the Bible, it is simply referred to as the "Law" or "Law of Moses". In Romans 3:28 Paul says: For we consider that a person is justified by faith apart from works of the law.  People have used this verse, out of context, to justify the belief that a person is saved by faith alone and not by the "good works" they do in life. There by saying that you don't have to do all the things we Catholic's believe is essential to our salvation, following Jesus' command to care for the sick, be kind to the elderly, feed and clothe the poor and infirm, visit the incarcerated, love one another, forgive transgressions, etc. But in 1947, the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls put the theological world in a head spin when they found among the many books of the old testament, a scroll called the "Precepts of the works of the Law" Dr. John Bergsma, a well known Catholic Speaker has studied the Dead Sea Scrolls as part of his doctorate and there are talks available that go along with the outline linked above. 
This scroll has put a new light on Paul's writing and changes the beliefs of many Protestants regarding "faith alone".

No comments:

Post a Comment