Main picture

Main picture
Sermon on the Mount

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Saints

Saints
(words highlighted purple or blue are links. Click to see more information)

Saints are often used as a way to denigrate the Catholic faith with claims that we worship statues and images. This is of course, not true. The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches this here: Holy images 476-4772129-2132.

As Catholics we venerate the lives of Saints, and pray asking for their intercessory prayer, as we would ask a friend to pray for us. The only difference is one is alive, and the prayer request can be made directly via word, letter, or email or other type of message, and a Saint has been dead for some time and is believed to be in Heaven with God and our Lord Jesus, and the prayer is the method of making the request.

Saints are not just created or selected randomly. These Saints are people who lived their lives and died in their faith. Their lives were examples for us of piety, purity, humility, love, loyalty, devotion, charity, faith, and hope.  Many, I’d dare say most, were martyred for their faith.

Current methods for Sainthood require the person’s name be presented as a candidate for Sainthood and a cause is opened for examination. Many steps are required and it sometimes takes years, decades even, for the person to be Beatified, now they are called Blessed, which is required before final Sainthood. There must be a verified miracle (see Lk 10:8-9, Acts 5:12, 2 Cor. 12:12) attributed to the person’s intersession before Beatification, and then another verified miracle to be elevated to Sainthood. There is an investigation that some could say is more detailed than that required to convict a murderer.

When I was confirmed in the Catholic Church, I chose a name of a Saint to be my Patron Saint throughout my life. When I chose St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, I was not truly familiar with her, I chose her, because her name was close to my best friend and sponsor’s name. Little did I know, the Holy Spirit was involved, as this Saint is truly a spiritual example of how I have wanted to live my life.


My name means “one close to God”. I always wanted to live a life that was close to God, despite times when it was hard to do.

St. Elizabeth Ann Seton  was the first American born person to attain Sainthood. Her early life was spent in caring for the poor and sick in New York City. After losing her husband to tuberculosis in Italy, where they had gone for his health, she an Episcopalian became interested in the Catholic faith and spent time with her husbands’ Catholic relatives and began her faith formation. Upon returning to America, she converted to the Catholic faith and established the first FREE Catholic school for poor children. She also formed the first Sisterhood in America.

When I was a child, I wanted to become a teacher and would have “play” school with the neighbor kids that I baby-sat for on occasion. My adult life I have worked in fields dedicated to helping people with various consumer needs. But most recently, I have answered the call to Evangelize and am part of the RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) team at my church. It occurred to me recently that I chose the Saint most relevant to my life without even knowing it!

Do you have a Saint to show you how to live? , one that you can “identify” with?
You can learn about lives of the Saints, the popular Saints, and the less known Saints, on this website: http://catholic.org/saints/

Some of my favorites are St. Polycarp, St. Ignatius of Loyola, St. Bernadette of Lourdes, and hopefully soon to be Saints, Blessed Padre Pio, Blessed Mother Teresa, Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassatti, and Blessed John Paul the Great.

There are many books dedicated to many of the Saints available from Lighthouse Catholic Media Store,   and many other sites, some listed in the links on my home page.

I highly recommend reading about the Saints, for historical reasons, and faith reasons. Perhaps you’ll find someone that inspires you?

Blessings,
The Catholic Lady ©



No comments:

Post a Comment