Main picture

Main picture
Sermon on the Mount

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Social Media and Evangelizing

Social Media and Evangelizing
(words highlighted purple or blue are links. Click to see more information)

I have been looking for ways to share my blog and set up a Twitter account. Lord, what has the world come to when it is reduced to 38 character snippet's of conversation? Who has time for this?

Would Blessed Mother Teresa have Tweeted? Hmmm.  There's a conversation starter for your next get together. Could be fun!

It's funny though, there is a Twitter account for Cardinal Dolan. I wonder who really administers it? There's no way a busy man like him actually Tweets. But let's talk about this.
The Holy Father has made this the "Year of Faith" and is calling for everyone to make use of various media forms to spread the Word. I guess that is what this Blog is about, what do you know, I'm answering the call!

We can spread the word through Social Media. How many of you put quotes, ask for prayers, "Like" Christian pages on their FB page? MySpace? Google Plus? Cloud? etc, etc? That is a form of Evangelizing. It seems the opportunities for this kind of evangelizing are endless.
There are Catholic Social Media sites too.( Hmmm, maybe I should join one of those too.) Everyone who is a Christian is called by Jesus to spread the Gospel, and lead as many souls to Him as possible in their lifetime.
Mark 16:15 He said to them, “Go into the whole world and proclaim the gospel to every creature."

Matt. 28:18-20  Then Jesus approached and said to them, “All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.”

Blessed Mother Teresa didn't use social media, she lived social and spread the Word through her actions and words. You may say, I can't talk about the Bible, or I can't quote scripture. But you don't have to do these things to show the world Jesus.
Put a bumper sticker on your car with a Bible Scripture, (try to be more original than John 3:16) or simply, "Jesus loves you". Show His mercy and kindness in how you interact with people. Let them see Jesus in you!

John 3: 21 But whoever lives the truth comes to the light, so that his works may be clearly seen as done in God.

1 John 2: 5-6 But whoever keeps his word, the love of God is truly perfected in him. This is the way we may know that we are in union with him; whoever claims to abide in him ought to live [just] as he lived.

Now folks, I am not saying that I have lived a life just as Jesus did, FAR from it! I have had my share of bad days, of road rage, and being a disgruntled customer. But I TRY to live the best I can, everyday. It's just some days I don't quite manage. So don't think that because you have a bad day, that you're not a good person. We are all "perfectly flawed". We just have to make amends, forgive our selves, forgive others, and if you are Catholic, go to confession regularly. You'll be amazed how good you feel afterward.

There are a number of sources for Evangelizing available today. Lighthouse Catholic Media CD’s are a simple method to learn more about the Catholic Faith and to share with a friend or family member.
Christian based films are becoming more available. Two have recently made it out into the theaters despite the heavily liberal movie industry, one is “October Baby” and another is “For Greater Glory” (There is also a CD available from Lighthouse.) One movie is about the sanctity of life and the other religious freedom. Both are based on true stories and both are powerful. You can get “October Baby” in the RedBox right now! (There is also a CD available from Lighthouse by the same title.)

I have some "Links" listed here on my page that you may find interesting, so please check them out. Also there is some ads that should be "genre" specific, I don't pick them, Google does, so don't hold them against me if something untoward should pop in there. (smiley face)

Well, I need to move on today, so this is a short post. God Bless you for reading, and feel free to post comments or questions about any of my posts. If I have got anything about the Catholic Catechism wrong, please let me know. I try to do my homework before publishing anything on this blog.
Please also share this blog on your Twitter or FaceBook page, links are listed below each post.
Thank you!

The Catholic Lady ©




No comments:

Post a Comment